Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanern1

Thickness of island posts

Alicia
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

Hello,

Our kitchen island countertop will be 60 x 96 (5ft x 8ft), covering an island that consists of 24 inch deep cabinets on one side and 21 inch deep cabinets on the other side, with posts to support the overhang (see rendering image). Edited to add: the posts are not the only support for the overhang, they are also a decorative/design element. As of right now, the cabinet company has specified that the posts are 3 inches x 3 inches, but I am wondering if that will look too skimpy with the overall size of the island. Should we see if it's possible to go bigger or would 3x3 look okay? Thoughts?

The rendering is scaled accurately with the posts being 3x3.

Comments (37)

• millworkman
    11 days ago

Posts alone are not enough for the overhang. That needs steel structure under it built into the cabinets. Those posts are worthless (and major knee knockers), get the steel and leave them out.

Alicia thanked millworkman
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@millworkman thanks - the posts are more decorative - there will be adequate support. I'm asking from a visual/design perspective.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 days ago

The posts are proportioned properly. You'll want a 4" apron tied to the cabinets and holding the posts in place.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

Forgive me.....

You are worried on the post, when there is a tree growing out of the island.

What is the seam plan on the counter top material? and I shall pray the post goes into the ground? : )

• Alicia
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@janmoyer I know I wish I could have that post removed- we explored it with the architect and unfortunately there wasn’t anything we could do about the post within our budget - we are ok with it. We have a seam at center line of post and we will probably add a brass detail at the seam to make it interesting.

• PRO
    Kimberli Saunders
    11 days ago

You will require stretcher bars between the posts, and back to the island, in order to support the posts and the counter properly. That means the island will need to be redesigned properly, as you cannot attach stretcher bars to cabinet doors.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

The island should not extend past the post, just as the perimeter is not extending past the post. Plus, that pantry cabinet has to go away. It's blocking light and is not working.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@minardi how is the pantry cabinet blocking light? There’s already a post on the other side of it and as it is the current kitchen has a wall there and even smaller windows - plenty of light comes in the sliding doors too

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Please note there will be stretchers and the cabinet doors will be shorter to accommodate. The rendering is not the cabinet designers so it’s not fully accurate on all of the details - I am only asking about the thickness of the legs which are drawn the scale.

• vinmarks
    10 days ago

Personally I think the legs look too wimpy when you have those thick wood posts nearby.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Honestly, you can't sit at the short ends. I'd forget the posts, close the ends completely, and put a trim detail similar to post "tree" to balance the heavy load above: )

Or make the posts 6 inches and wood, stained to match ceiling. Or just close that post to skin end with panel match to ceiling wood. It's just very top heavy / "lidded" in overall look.

• HU-910663146
    10 days ago

What I notice is the color--white legs when the other posts are dark. I agree with the poster below who suggested that you eliminate the posts on the island.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 days ago

The 3x3 legs seem in proportion. The structural column in the middle of the island would be a deal breaker for most people though.

• Tish
    10 days ago

The overall design does not work functionally or visually. It tries to ignore the posts in the post and beam, and fails miserably. Those are major features that have to be worked WITH, and that does not mean using them like they are a tree growing out of the counter. That is just asking for big trouble, because wood expands and contracts too much for that to ever work. You either have a big expansion gap, or a big crack in the stone. The tall pantry is intrusive and blocks light to the table area. The table is not given enough room, and has no circulation space, because the kitchen is crowding it out.

Start over.

What are the basic measurements of the space?

• bichonbabe
    10 days ago

Sorry to pile on you, but that tree looks horrible! This design really needs to be rethought. I'm sure budget is a concern, but there has to be away to improve this look.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

I'll add to my earlier:

Take the "spread branch DETAIL" OFF the post. Make it just the post and better it would end at the outside edge of the island, island shortened.

Skip the 3 inch post - make one stained to match panel in wood. close the end.

You might get a lot of help with the entire space, if you post a measured drawing of the entire plan and the area beyond.

The darkness at ceiling may be the rendering, but it is toooooo dark. The rendering shows two floor materials - not a great idea.

But we need to see more and more FULLY to offer better suggestions

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Wow this thread is really making me feel terrible. The rendering above does not contain everything that is being done, it’s a rendering by the architect showing some basics. It doesn’t show other things that are being done like the entire floor is being replaced with hardwood so there will be no delineation. I made my own rendering to get a better idea of what it will look like but even my rendering is limited by what the software I used allowed me to choose. Maybe this will help you guys see that it’s really not that horrible to have the post in the island? I would think the designer and architect who I consulted with would have cautioned us against this if it was really a terrible idea. Btw the rendering shows a different island it’s a stock one from the software, so keep in mind the actual island will be like the one in the architects rendering.

We thought through this design a lot and honestly this kitchen house and space are tough to work with. We desperately need more storage space in the kitchen and there’s really nowhere else to put the pantry with out losing a window.

• Candace
    10 days ago

Alicia - the horse may have already left the barn, but if there’s ANY way you can swap for drawers on the side facing the sink, you’ll be infinitely happier in the long run. My island is 5’ x 10’ (shush, you “big” island haters - I am totally OK with walking all the way around to clean :) and have drawers facing the sink and cabinets where you sit. I have significant supports so I did not need posts.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

More this......

Get RID of the branch detail (as I said above) on the post above that island. I makes the ceiling appear even lower and it is OVER design.

A dark island or any color? better than white.

Nobody is trying to discourage you....cause heartbreak, but this is a far cry from your rendering above, EVEN WITH A POST.: )

Yes close the island ends, You are top heavy unless you do.

Don't use a rendering in a question, unless it is accurate. This is the INTERNET: ) LOL

• vinmarks
    10 days ago

Can you get rid of the arms on the post? Are your ceilings going to be that dark? Those dark ceilings make it feel like the ceilings are so low.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

EXACTLY! That makes two of us, and three mentions. No "tree"!!!!! lol TaTaaaaaaa

• 3onthetree
    10 days ago

It seems like you evaluated changing the "tree" support, to what extent isn't stated (removing braces, removing post completely?), but made a decision it wasn't worth it. However, if you consider all details at the same gusto that you have done with the proportion of counter overhang posts, you might realize things like function and aesthetics (sitting behind the "tree", lighting the island around the "tree") might not be optimal in this layout. So instead maybe the kitchen layout can change, not the "tree."

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The arms on the posts will be removed

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@janmoyer thank you I learned the hard way I guess! We met with the architect yesterday and the branches are being completely removed on the island post. So that’s good. We also asked the architect about room for the table to the right and he said there is adequate room based on necessary clearances for chairs around a table plus allowing for a sideboard on the other wall. So I guess I need to take advice with a grain of salt given no one has the full picture or true measurements - was just asking about the legs on the island! I think I will take your advice and close the island so there aren’t legs.

• Tish
    10 days ago

Post the actual room measurements. Because architects are HORRIBLE kitchen designers. As this shows.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Good for you @Alicia

Sticking with this journey, taking advice and trying to find your path. Sometimes it can be hard to hear opinions because it feels personal but trust me when I say some of the advice on here can really help you create a great space.

You are not the first nor the last to have an itegrated post on your counter. Not ideal but you can make a nice working kitchen.

As far as the posts you have gotten some great advice above. Here are some images so you can see integrated posts can work.

California Dreamin'-Kitchen · More Info

Keates Residence · More Info

Alexandria Timeless Kitchen Addition · More Info

Maywood Ave. Home, Ann Arbor · More Info

Otter Tail Hunting Lodge · More Info

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 days ago

A hard No to the post in the island. The island is way too big unless you are offering up sacrifices on it. It’s way out of proportion to the kitchen and rest of the space. You can do much better.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 days ago

The pictures that Boxerpal posted are much nicer ways to deal with posts on an island.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks for all or the offers of advice. Please note the kitchen as designed by a kitchen designer as well so it’s not like we just did this with no professional help.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

We understand, we really do. We've fixed MANY of those here on Houzz. Some were done by a cabinet salesman within a cabinet shop, others by a pro kd. Lets just say there is a lot of kitchen talent on Houzz, pro and non, and before it's reality? You may want to show the cad plan and the surrounding area of first floor. Up to you of course: )

• Kendrah
    9 days ago

Yes, it can really feel crappy to have comments rain all over a design you worked hard on with a professional designer, whom you have paid to boot. However, kitchen design is like going to a doctor. A doctor might have a degree but it doesn't mean you can't benefit from a second or third opinion. Paying a designer doesn't guarantee you the absolute best kitchen you can get. And with how expensive it is, why not bounce around additional input?

It can feel crushing, but the crowd sourcing on here has been invaluable to me when I have done renovations. All of mine I hired designers and/or architects, and each had been improved by input from folks here.

Agreed that you can make a nice kitchen with a post. And, I think you can make yours nicer than what is drawn here. And yes. the cleaning issue - how do you reach the middle of a 5 x 8 foot counter? If you can't stretch to clean it, how do you reach to even utilize that space?

• HU-910663146
    9 days ago

I think your kitchen will be much more open now that the "branches" are being eliminated. Had your kitchen been rustic, they would have worked much better.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 days ago

"That is just asking for big trouble, because wood expands and contracts too much for that to ever work."

Nonsense. A 1/16" silicone-filled gap around the post perimeter will easily accommodate the difference in movement.

Better yet, rabbet the post with a jig and a router and slide to top into the rabbet. Done right, it will appear the post is sitting on top of the countertop. No silicone needed.

• Roger Gleason
    9 days ago

tough crowd in here

• lucky998877
    9 days ago

Ha, people are really questioning cleaning the middle of a 5x8 island? Are you below average size? I've never had hard time ;)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

What was the designer’s first suggestion? Was it to have a large island with the post coming through it? Getting the cabinetry under the island around the post might not be fun either.